Saturday, July 22, 2006

Blogger Q&A: No.10 Pam Nelson


Pam Nelson, who confesses to having a schoolmarm streak (as many editors do), comments on language use and misuse in her Triangle Grammar Guide for the News & Observer in Raleigh.

Q.When did you start blogging?

A. I started in April 2005. My first post was about lay and lie.

Q. What's your purpose or motivation to blogging? What do you hope to accomplish?

A.I wanted to sound off about grammar and usage, but I also wanted to offer extra value to readers of The News & Observer. I was thinking as much about the readers of the printed paper as of the online readers. I hoped to give our very educated readership a chance to sound off, too. I am aiming my work, for the most part, at readers, not at other journalists. My fondest wish is to set some people straight! I am a schoolmarm at heart.


Q. Where do you get your topics?

A. Readers suggest most of them, but some just come up in my regular reading of the paper.


Q. What has provoked the most response from readers?

A. The most comments came when I wrote about the language in obituaries, such "transitioned into the heavenly host." Several readers posted their own favorite euphemisms for death.


Q. Do you know who your readers are and if so, do you have much interaction with them? Anything interesting to say about them?

A. I answer readers' questions about grammar and writing. They seem to be people who are very concerned about getting their words right.


Q. If you know, are your readers language or journalism experts or just regular folks?

A. Most of the people I hear from seem to be regular folks.


Q.Do you try to post on a regular schedule or as topics arise?

A. My goal is to post at least twice a week, but mostly I post as topics arise. Sometimes a letter, an e-mail message or a phone call to the public editor prompts my posts.

Q. Do you think we should think about linking in some fashion to deliver language or other advice by e-mail or share content more regularly? (This is completely off the top of my head and did not inspire this Q&A.)

A. I don't know. I might need to see this in action to understand what it would mean.


Q. Do you consider yourself web savvy or up to date on technology? Will we still be blogging in five years or will technology completely replace this method of communication?

A. For a 52-year-old, I think I am Web savvy and up to date on technology, but I have no idea what the next big thing will be. I enjoy writing on my blog, and I will keep it up as long as it's feasible.


Q. How much time do you spend each week on your blog?

A. I spend about 3 or 4 hours a week, I guess. All outside my regular work. Even though my blog is part of The News & Observer online, I usually don't use work time for it. If I get an e-mail request for help, I try to answer that as soon as I can, though. Once I am off deadline with my daily work. I usually write my posts early in the morning; my brain works best then.


Q. What are your favorite language web sites or blogs?

A.I refer readers often to the language-usage works on bartleby.com. I also refer often to Purdue University's Online Writing Lab, http://owl.english.purdue.edu/, and Capital Community College Foundation's Guide to Grammar and Writing, http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/. Academic sites have been very helpful.
I like John McIntyre's You Don't Say, http://blogs.baltimoresun.com/about_language/, because he writes so well. But I check other blogs, too, when I have time. Like many readers, I am too busy to check blogs often.


Q. Is there anything else you'd like to add?

A. Thanks! And best of luck to you and all the language/usage/grammar bloggers!

No comments:

Lijit Ad Tag