Friday, July 14, 2006

Blogger Q&A No.2: William Z. Shetter

Continuing the blogger question-and-answer series. Today's interview is with Prof. William Z. Shetter, author of the highly literate and entertaining Language Miniatures web site. While technically not a blog, the site provides smart, informed commentary that is a pleasure to read.

Q.When did you start blogging?

A. I'm not sure whether my web site LANGUAGE MINIATURES is properly a 'blog' - I started it in 1998 before that word had been invented and its style is a bit different.

Q. What's your purpose or motivation to blogging? What do you hope to accomplish?

A. My purpose is to popularize language and linguistics issues. I'm delighted to note that you already have a link to me.

Q. Where do you get your topics?

A. Observation, study of the popular and professional literature.

Q. Do you know who your readers are and if so, do you have much interaction with them? Anything interesting to say about them?

A. I get an e-mail now and then from a reader with a comment or question. Occasionally a correction, which is helpful.

Q. If you know, are your readers language or journalism experts or just regular folks?

A. They seem to be an ordinary educated public, exactly the ones I'm writing for.

Q. Do you try to post on a regular schedule or as topics arise?

A. I post regularly around the first of every month, occasionally in the middle of the month. There are now 169 essays online, and there have been 115,680 visits to the site since January 2000.

No comments:

Lijit Ad Tag