Thursday, July 20, 2006

Blogger Q&A No.8: Cheryl Norman

Today's Q&A is with Cheryl Norman, aka the Grammar Goddess

Q.When did you start blogging? What's your purpose or motivation to blogging? What do you hope to accomplish?

A. A year ago I started this grammar blog, hoping to set up a place to funnel the many grammar questions I get and to share the answers with others. It hasn't exactly taken off as I'd hoped. Most people still prefer private e-mails, which is all right, too.


Q.Where do you get your topics?

A. I post the questions I get from e-mails, if the sender agrees. Otherwise I'll post a general discussion on the topic. I suppose some writers are embarrassed to expose themselves as needing help. They shouldn't. We all have questions from time to time.

Q. What has provoked the most response from readers?

A. Comma usage and non-words. I've actually done battle with an editor who insisted that alright is now acceptable usage. Well, it's not acceptable to Grammar Goddess! Comma usage could have its own blog, there are so many questions.


Q. Do you know who your readers are and if so, do you have much interaction with them? Anything interesting to say about them?

A. I've become acquainted with some of them through contact. My friends just send me private e-mails or call me on the telephone with their questions.

Q. If you know, are your readers language or journalism experts or just regular folks?

A. I get questions from legal secretaries, school teachers, people from abroad who use English as a second language, and novelists.


Q. Do you try to post on a regular schedule or as topics arise?

A. I try to post on a regular basis or at least monthly. My bloggers haven't found grammar and style to be interesting enough for daily blogging.

Q. Do you think we should think about linking in some fashion to deliver language or other advice by e-mail or share content more regularly? (This is completely off the top of my head and did not inspire this Q&A.)

A. I add links to my blog anytime I find a useful or informative site or blog.

Q. Do you consider yourself web savvy or up to date on technology? Will we still be blogging in five years or will technology completely replace this method of communication?

A. I keep up better than the average old broad my age. I think blogs or some form of community sharing will be around for awhile.


Q. How much time do you spend each week on your blog?

A. Unfortunately, I'm committed to several blogs, so none gets a lot of my time. I'd prefer to blog weekly, and that's my ultimate goal.
What are your favorite language web sites or blogs?

Q. If I like and use one, it's linked here (on my blog sidebar).
Is there anything else you'd like to add?

A. I wish I knew how to generate more traffic to my grammar blog. Or maybe not! I might get more questions than I can handle!


No comments:

Lijit Ad Tag