Friday, July 27, 2007

Reading the Original

I had reason to look up a Middle English version of The Prodigal Son and ran across this lovely argument for reading texts in their original language instead of relying on contemporary translations. This gem is from the University of California, Santa Barbara, English Department.




Original
Verse

"Jump Around" by House of Pain

I'll serve yo' ass like John McEnroe

If your girl steps up I'm smackin' the ho

Word to your moms, I came to drop bombs

I got more rhymes than a bible's got psalms


And
just like the prodigal son I've returned

Anyone steppin' on me you'll get burned

'Cause I got lyrics, but you ain't got none

If you come to battle bring a shotgun

But
if you do you're a fool 'cause I do to the death

Try an' step to me you'll take your last breath

I got the skill, come get your fill

'Cause when I shoot the gif, I shoot to kill

I came to get down

So jump around



Translation



by Alex Cook


I will ace you like a professional tennis player

If your girlfriend objects, I may become violent

You and all your family should know

I'm here to impress you with my verbal power

I'm quite a clever poet

I bear a biblical resemblance to the prodigal son

If you threaten me, you'll regret it

Because I'm a far more skillful wordsmith than you

If you are so bold, bring the heavy artillery

But you're being foolish, because I'm awfully vicious

If you challenge me, you'll be vanquished

I'm quite ready to dispose of you, when you're ready

Because when I threaten you, I really mean it

I came to get down

So jump around






Well, as Martha G. just pointed out, House of Pain does a lot of jumping around in its video.


No comments:

Lijit Ad Tag