Friday, November 23, 2007

For Copy Editing

Jerry Lewis, writing in the Boulder County Business Report, includes this:

....
What stopped me, however, was the quote from MediaNews President Joseph Lodovic.

"Why does every newspaper need copy editors?" he said. "In this day and age, I think copy-editing can be done centrally for several newspapers."

He might be right, but for every copy editor eliminated, I can pretty much assure you of a lot more bad mistakes in that newspaper, with a long "corrections" column the following day.

Good copy editors may not be a dying breed just yet, but editors who actually have a good memory of local facts and figures are always hard to find.

Newspapers filled with mistakes, in my opinion, are cutting their own necks to save a dollar. If they want to continue losing loyal readers to Google searches, I wish them luck.


No comments:

Lijit Ad Tag