Thursday, January 10, 2008

Word Lists

If you like words and word lists, try Wordie

Yesterday I came across a new one: "Huckenfreude" defined by Ross Douthat as "Pleasure derived from the outrage of prominent conservative pundits over the rising poll numbers of Mike Huckabee." Hmm. That could be a serious contender for word of the year.

Here are the top 25 from the wordie site's hot-words list.
schadenfreude
quixotic
serendipity
loquacious
plethora
ennui
verisimilitude
obfuscate
mellifluous
sanguine
ephemeral
cacophony
onomatopoeia
lugubrious
sesquipedalian
syzygy
defenestrate
love
antediluvian
defenestration
cerulean
zeitgeist
persnickety
callipygian
curmudgeon

Here's another oddity: A few months ago, after listening to a friend rail about how much he hates the word "moist," I ran across a group at MySpace whose sole reason for existence is to perpetuate their hatred of that word. I have no idea why this word galls so many people, but at wordie, here are some of the lists that include the word. The list names give away people's feelings:

BAD words, by fluffymoo
words that make my skin crawl, by minervacat
Words I Hate, by Magwitch
Words I Hate, by MacBean
Words I Absolutely Can NOT Stand., by andrea
Unspeakables, by roblord
Words I dislike, by SarahCN
words i hate, by beccacat
Words that I hate with the fire of a thousand suns:, by noverb
Totally Normal Words That Can Make You Squirm, by tjesser
least favorite words, by neversent
words I cannot stand, by punky
Words I Hate, by masonm894
Words I just don't like at all . . ., by kingofbash
Hates, by HKNovielli
Grrrrr, by ElmoAli
gross., by rhoda
black listed, by actingsoadultnow
horribleawfulterrible words, by doublefourtime
Not fond of, by ashtonhaley

No comments:

Lijit Ad Tag