Friday, July 30, 2010

The Autism Job Market

Oh, this is interesting. In an article about jobs for people with autism/Asperger's, journalism and copy editing come up.  I've always wondered about quirks and obsessions (I know that isn't limited to autism).

We've all seen reporters and editors with strong likes and dislikes about how they work. When I was first starting out in the business and using a typewriter, I would and could not turn in a story with a typo in the lede, even if I'd XX'ed it out. The lede graf had to be clean or I'd type it 40 times until it was right. (I accidentally just wrote "write." Computers make everything so easy!)

I have no idea how much time I wasted after late-night Vermilion Town Council meetings trying to type the lede correctly.

No comments:

Lijit Ad Tag