Saturday, May 25, 2019

Love for Huntington

It's been about 37 years since I arrived in Huntington and have never regretted moving here. Well, there was that time right after I moved here when, blissfully unaware of the many anti-renter issues, I got a visit at 1 a.m. from the town attorney's office, the building inspector and a cop. Turns out I'd unknowingly rented from a guy who had previously been in court and sworn never to rent illegally again.

One of the things that always catches my attention is how people stamp themselves as "real Huntingtonians."

The response to a such a question as, 'Did you grow up here?' is, almost invariably "Yes, I grew up here, I was born in Huntington Hospital." I heard it again today. It makes me laugh because it often is said with a bit of firmness, proof of people's bona fides. I've lived in three other states as an adult, and can't recall a similar kind of statement about those places. It's a point of pride, and it's charming.

No comments:

Lijit Ad Tag