Tuesday, December 23, 2008

On the Job Trail

I'm working on a post about transferring newspaper skills to other media but in the meantime, want to recommend Lindsey Pollak's advice column. While aimed at college students on the verge of entering the job market, it's got a lot of good information for any and all job seekers. I heartily recommend it, especially the part about joining professional organizations and updating your resume. If you've spent your career in newspapers and your resume is mostly a recitation of your work history, change it! I ran into this issue myself a few months ago while talking to a recruiter who held my resume up with the tips of two fingers and reasonably politely asked me if I had a resume. Clearly it wasn't what she wanted.

I'll have the other post soon, I hope.

No comments:

Lijit Ad Tag